So this afternoon my mom texted me at work with this:


"Hi. I just saw that Michael Turner died. Wasn't he one of your favorite comic book guys?"

My first reaction? NO WAY. Impossible!

Unfortunately I was wrong. It's true.

Mr. Turner lost his battle with bone cancer at the age of 37.

Michael Turner has been one of my favorite comic book artists since I realized that other companies existed beyond Marvel and DC. I was first captured by his art in Top Cow's Witchblade. His stunning attention to detail captivated me. When I looked at his comics, I thought this is what I want my art to look like. Top Cow swiftly became my favorite publisher and I was quick to pursue series that featured Mr. Turner's art, and from there anything that Mr. Turner happened to have illustrated a cover for. At comic book conventions, the first thing I did was go searching for anything Turner related.

It wasn't only his artistic ability that was hugely inspirational to me; in 2002 Mr. Turner left Top Cow, and by January of 2003 he had founded his own publishing company, Aspen Comics MLT, which featured offshoots of the Fathom series and urban fantasy story Soulfire.

My most heartfelt condolences to Mr. Turner's family and friends. I never personally met Mr. Turner, but no artist has ever inspired me more. No artist has ever made me so excited to pick up a comic book. His journey through the comic art world, from Top Cow background artist to creating his own company, is... aw, hell, I know I've used this word too much already, but it's inspirational. His art and his comics will always have a special place in my heart.