So Saturday night (12/10) Handful of Luvin headlined The Showbox in Seattle, and before I say anything else, I want to point out that this is a big deal. I've only been tracking the band since July, and it amazes me how far they've come in so short a time. In July they made an appearance at the Showbox to open for the Cloves, and in December it was their name on the huge marquee outside the venue on 1st Ave.

Moving on to the show. ^_^

Opening for Handful of Luvin were two bands, frequent companions Sambusa and Down North. Sambusa played first, and though I enjoy Sambusa, I would never go out of my way to listen to them. And I flat out do not like Down North. Period. They grate on my nerves.

When Handful of Luvin took the stage after Down North, the crowd definitely got a lot more excited. ^_^ Handful shows are always a lot crazier when they're at larger venues and are all ages, and this was no exception. While not quite as crazy as the El Corazon show in October (no mosh pit!), there was a healthy "Jig Pit" going on, and some crowd surfing. Including a random guy who leapt onstage, then when he saw the large security guard barreling towards him, turned and took a massive stage dive into the crowd. Plenty of entertainment. ^_^

HoL put on an amazing show, as always. Fiddler Andrew couldn't get his wireless equipment working, which was too bad, but didn't detract from the show. From the intro to the first song to the last note of the conclusion to the show, HoL had the entire venue captivated. And moving! If you were at all close to the middle of the crowd "mosh pit footing" would have been required. ^_^ Everyone in the band played with their usual energy, including their new hand precussionist, who in my opinion is an improvement over the guy who previously held that position. The previous hand precussionist just didn't quire seem to match the rest of the band in energy and love, but the newest addition to the band has him beat hands down. =) Every song in HoL's set was played amazingly and with obvious passion, and as a result the performance was gripping.

And of course, the show was complete with little 90lb girls shrieking, "Andrew, I love you!" "David, I love you!"

So Handful of Luvin is able to headline and fill Seattle's Showbox with screaming fans. I can't imagine this amazing local band will stay unsigned for long. ^_^

Remember to visit their websites:
Handful of Luvin on Myspace
The Handful of Luvin Fansite
The Offical Handful of Luvin Site (still being worked on)