Live Free or Die Hard
PG-13
*** out of ****
2007


Well, it's been a few posts since I wrote a movie review, so I thought I'd present my take on Live Free or Die Hard. My friend Bob and I went to see this movie last Saturday. I was protesting the outing, insisting that since the movie had just been released on Wednesday that the theater would be too full. And I hate seeing movies when the theater is crowded. But I was talked into it, and was pleasantly surprised when only about sixy percent of the seats filled up. Of course, going to the very first showing on a Saturday probably helped. ^_^



An interesting thing to note is that this is the first Die Hard movie to be rated PG-13. Trying to make more money? Yes.




On a side note, I saw a trailer for the new 'Hitman' movie, scheduled to be released in October, which I am now very excited about. Just about any movie based on a video game is good by me... especially that particular series. ^_^ Check out the trailer!


Premise: Grizzled detective Bruce Willis embarks on another wild adventure! Computer based terrorist organization headed by Timothy Olyphant are out to cause destruction and get money. John McLane and Matt Farrell (Justin Long) aren't about to let that happen. Notable appearances by Kevin Smith as a Star Wars geek hacker, and Maggie Q, as Timothy Olyphant's girlfriend. Nothing really notable about Maggie Q except she's hotter than hell in this movie. ^_^


First thing I'm going to say was this movie was completely and utterly over the top, more so than any of the other Die Hard movies. And the explosions.... WOW there were a lot of them!



Things that blew up in Live Free or Die Hard:






1. A Helicopter.


2. Cars. Lots of cars.



3. An entire building.


4. An apartment unit.


5. A semi truck.


6. A fighter jet.



I'm pretty sure those were all the major things that blew up. Oh, the White House blew up too, but that was only in a video broadcasted by the terrorists. ^_^ Anyway, the amount of explosions was awesome!! I got especially excited when the fighter jet blew up, that was pretty much hilarious.


The acting was totally fine. Justin Long played the part of a hacker completely out of his league when people start trying to kill him very well. Obviously Bruce Willis was awesome, and even with a little more huffing and puffing he's still a bad ass action hero, and I don't care how old he is. I love love love Timothy Olyphant, so even though his acting wasn't really worth commenting on (not bad, just not notably good, either,) I still loved him. ^_^ Mary Elizabeth Winstead played Lucy McLane well. She had a great character.



The writing was great. Entertaining (if a little silly) story playing on how computerized our country is today, and what would happen if terrorists hacked the system. All the explosions!!! Amazing!!! There were hilarious quotes all through the whole movie that kept you laughing. And I already mentioned it, but Kevin Smith's small part in the movie was just great. And you know Kevin Smith had to have been so excited to be in a Die Hard movie!



Anyway, that's about all I have to say. Great, over the top action movie with plenty of explosions and one-liners. Great Die Hard fun!







Yippekiyay, motherfucker!