Reno 911!: Miami
R
2007
**1/2 out of ****

If you’ve ever seen the Reno 911 show on Comedy Central, then you’ll know what to expect from this movie. Slapstick, goofball humor. Nothing serious or sophisticated here, folks. I’ve only seen Reno 911 a few times, but the times I have seen it have made me laugh, so I was excited to see the feature length film. And it was exactly what I expected, so I have absolutely no disappointment.

Premise: The Reno, Nevada Sheriff’s Department is invited to a national law enforcement convention in Miami. Due to mix ups with their registration they are forced to stay at a hotel away from the convention, which turns out to be a good thing when the convention center (filled with cops) is the target of a bio attack. As the only law enforcement officers not quarantined, the Reno Sheriff’s Department sets out to patrol the streets of Miami. Let the antics ensue.

This movie made me laugh. And laugh. And laugh some more. Then it got old. Like most slapstick movies, it’s hilarious for a while, but there is only so much of this kind of humor that I can take. I probably should have waited for it to come out on video, but as it is I’m not upset that I saw it in the theater. It was worth matinee prices. ^_^

It’s hard to separate the good and bad points of this movie because of the genre it’s in. Really it comes down to you either like this kind of film, or you don’t. It’s getting bad professional reviews because most critics aren’t kind to slapstick comedies. It’s getting decent amatuer reviews because the people who go to see this movie know what they’re getting in to, and want it.

It’s funny. It’s really funny in fact. It has some jokes that fall pretty short of the mark, but it has just as many (or more) that succeed in their intention. But I’m sure this is one of those movies you need to be in just the right mood for. ^_^

So rent it when it comes out on video and enjoy. ^_^