The Scene: Bob and I have just walked out of the house on our way to the gas station to get Subway sandwiches for dinner. I ask Bob if we can take his car. Bob has conveniently forgotten his keys inside the house. I do not want to drive, so we start walking to the gas station/Subway.

Bob: So what do you think the maximum IQ is?

Me: Mmm, I dunno. A little over 200?

Bob: Yeah, probably....

Long pause.

Bob: Hey, what kind of IQ do you think we'd get if we combined two brains?

Me: .........

Me: What?

Bob: What kind of IQ do you think we'd get if we combined two brains?

Me: Well, I guess it would depend on the brain. Maybe 200? Actually no, combining two brains? You're combining the reasoning power of two brains! Probably close to 300 hundred or more!

Bob: I think you're wrong. If you're combining two brains something is going to get lost in translation, and what if the brains disagree with each other? Things would take longer to figure out. I'd say definitely under 200.

Me: But are we talking about two separate brains in one body, or experiment tank, or whatever, or are we talking about the power of two brains combined in one?

Bob: The power of two brains combined in one.

Me: Then they're not going to have separate thoughts and be disagreeing with each other. You'd definitely get an IQ of over 300.

Bob: No, I still think putting the power together would cause problems and you'd get an IQ of less than 200.

Me: Bob?

Bob: Yeah?

Me: I can't wait to post this on my blog!


***

Upon further reflection on this odd question, I have realized that the IQ of the combined brains would be affected by the gender of the person that they came from. I have prepared some helpful charts to illustrate my new theories: