Anyone who's seen the movie 'V for Vendetta' knows at least about the existence of Guy Fawkes and the significance of the 5th of November.


British real estate agent Noelle whom I work with mentioned in passing, "fifth of November... that's quite a special day in England."


Although I knew the basic outline of the story, I asked her to elaborate.


She told me that the government in England was so bad at the time of the "gunpowder plot" that Guy Fawkes (among others) decided to blow up the Parliament building. The plot failed, but the people were behind Fawkes and what he tried to do. The next year, on the 5th of November, people across the country burned bonfires in honor of Fawkes. The government tried to put a stop to it, but they failed. Eventually they made the 5th a holiday, and though they didn't come out and say the holiday was for Fawkes, the people knew.


Noelle told me that children in England today will celebrate the 5th of November by creating effigies of Fawkes; usually out of their father's old clothing stuffed with sawdust. They will stand on street corners or go door to door saying "penny for the fox". If the person petitioned agreed with what Fawkes tried to do they'll give the child a penny. That night the children build a bonfire and burn their effigy while celebrating. Noelle told me that she would have hot chocolate and toast marshmellows over the bonfire.


Anyway, some fun information for you. I might just draw up my own effigy and burn it in the woodstove tonight with some hot chocolate... sounds like fun to me. =)