Saw III
R
2006
*1/2 out of ****


I have very much enjoyed the Saw movies, especially the second one, so when the third one came out, obviously I was going to see it. I have to admit that I was a little hesitant. All the new movies that have been coming out featuring brutal torture and realistic, graphic death have made me wary when seeing films like this, especially since I know what the Saw movies are about. The movie ended up being exactly what I expected it to be. Which wasn’t really a good thing.



Premise: The third in the Saw saga finds serial killer “Jigsaw” on his death bed, suffering from a brain tumor. His final “game” focuses on a man consumed with hate for the man who accidentally hit and killed his eight year old son, and teaching him to forgive. Meanwhile, his apprentice is ignoring his credo of “teaching” his victims and offering them a chance to save their own lives. Instead, she is devising traps that are impossible for her victims to get out of. Throw in a doctor kidnapped and brought in to sustain Jigsaw’s life until the end of his final game/test, and you have your story.


First let me just say that the only reason I bothered to give this movie one and a half stars is the twist at the end. It’s clever, and totally in keeping with Jigsaw’s character. Other than that, this movie was just a mire of realistic torture and violent death.


I know what you’re thinking. “DUH!!!”




Now let me explain. The first movie was indeed grim and graphic, but tame compared to the films that are being released now. The second film seemed to play more on people’s “heebie jeebie” feelings than on hardcore graphic violence (not that there wasn’t some of that in the film). Anyone remember that pit of hypodermic needles? I was holding out some hope (stupidly) that the third movie might stay closer oto the second one. No. I was wrong. The third film, following the vein of new movies like this, was gross - full of people being ripped apart, twisted around, and one notable scene where a man was nearly drowned in liquified rotting pig corpses. Even thinking about that makes me want to throw up.

I actually spent some of this movie with my eyes averted. I have never, ever done that. I have just had it up to here with this kind of movie.

To move on to the more technical aspects of the film, the acting was fairly decent, the writing was fine, and the special effects all too good. I don’t really hace much else to say about this film. It’s just another installment in the steady downhill slide of what is considered acceptable entertainment in the media.